No matter how great your website is, people won’t be able to find you online without taking some strategic steps. Having great content is one thing, optimizing SEO for your website, is a whole different process.
Digital marketing is something that you need to have a focus on, especially as a new business. You can get advice from digital marketing expertise from a site like Digital Lion, as well as outsourcing this if it is something that you don’t have any idea about. However, it pays to have some knowledge in the area, so that you understand what you’re talking about.
It starts with search engine optimization
One of the first steps that you need to take is to get your content found online through search engine optimization (SEO). When you pick keywords or certain terms that people are likely to search for, then that can be a good starting point to being found online. If you are a wedding planner in Dallas, you’ll want to come up when someone in Dallas searches for ‘wedding planners near me.’ If you’re not sure where to start, use sites like Moz for detailed information.
Other important elements of SEO are:
- Using titles and tags that are descriptive. A title helps to tell someone what your page is all about, and as a result, will help search engines to know what your post is about.
- Using meta tags and making the most of them. When you come up in a search, it is a small description that will explain what your page is all about.
- It is helpful to use alt text descriptions for all of your images. The tags also tell search engines what the page containing them is like.
- Inbound links to your content are important. This can happen naturally when someone likes what you do and wants to link back to it. You can also link to other content of yours, called backlinks.
Great content that is useful
It can be easy to think that writing great content is all about getting in as many important tags or keywords as possible. While this is good for SEO, too many can be a bad thing. Your content also needs to be useful and answer a question or need. Otherwise, visitors will move on quickly.
When you have content that is compelling, high-quality, and ultimately shareable, then that is what is going to make a difference to your business.
Great content contains a few different elements, which are:
- The content is relevant to your ideal customer. If you have a target audience for your business that is teenage females, then it won’t be helpful to be full of complex industry language. Having content that suits them, such as being fun, relatable, and humorous, is what will appeal and will be what they are likely to share online.
- A call to action at the end of the content is important. This is a simple step that will help your reader to get more involved with your business. Whether it is to read another article, sign-up for your newsletter, or view your latest product launch.
- Your content needs to be shareable, and you need to look to promote it on the business social media channels. Today has a very high social web climate, which is why sharing is something that is essential to being able to optimize your post helping you to gain maximum exposure.