Money doesn’t by happiness… but it does provide the peace of mind needed to experience it! If you need a few creative ways to make some extra money, without having to get an extra job or start a business on the side, we’ve got you covered.
When you already spend most of your time at work, generating extra income can seem a little unrealistic. But there are ways to earn some extra money with your existing resources – Here are our top 3!
Rent out a room
If you live alone consider getting a roommate. If you find the right fit, it’s a great way to offset your rent or mortgage payment. Concerned about living with a stranger? Ask friends or family members if they’d be interested in living with you. If that doesn’t work, there are several websites that can help you find a suitable lodger.
Tip: When choosing to share your home with a roommate, be sure to do your due diligence.
- Do a background and credit check.
- Ask for references.
- Ask probing questions (i.e.: noise level, having guests over, pets, if they like to party… etc.)
- Have a legal lease agreement in place with clearly defined terms.
- Require a deposit.
Rent out your driveway
Yes, this is a very real thing. Real estate is valuable… even a small place to park your car. If you live in a metro area or somewhere that is tight on parking, you may be sitting on a goldmine.
Depending on where you live, people could be willing to pay a fair amount of money to park in your driveway.
If you live in an apartment or condo where parking is included and you don’t have a car, rent the space to a neighbor. Or if you live in the heart of your city, where everywhere you turn there’s paid parking, parking meters, and valet parking – you should look into ways to rent your space. Look for professionals that work nearby. The types that likely pay a monthly fee for parking. Then, charge a little less than the going monthly rate. Or if you live in an area that has frequent events nearby consider renting out your parking space for a daily rate.
Sell off your clutter
If you’ve been putting off getting rid of all your extra stuff, there’s nothing more motivating than earning some extra money. Not sure if you have anything of value to sell? These days you can sell anything.
- Old books? Put them on eBay.
- Have clothes in good condition that are just taking up closet space? List them on poshmark.com or depop.com.
- That old dryer that you have no idea what’s wrong with, might not make you a tone, but you can get money for scrap metal.
- Old video games? Take them to Game Stop or list them on Craigslist.
- Don’t want to be bothered with listing individual items? Have a yard sale.
In the end, you’ll have a de-cluttered home and some extra cash!