If you want to get ahead of the game, you have to lead from the front. No one can successfully lead the pack when they’re constantly following others. Stop playing catchup while others are making moves.
Here are a few tips to help get on and stay on top of your game!
take care of you
Let’s start with the most important element… you! Taking care of yourself is crucial to being your best self. In order to scale your business, climb the corporate ladder, or take care of your home and family, you have to be physically, mentally, and emotionally strong.
Sure, you can achieve some amazing things in life while being out of shape and lacking energy, but if you really want to move the needle – it’s time to make yourself a priority! I’m sure you’ve heard it before but start making your overall health a priority. Drink more water. Eat better. Implement an exercise routine that you enjoy and start practicing self-care regularly.
It’s an often overlooked aspect of success, that can also be your secret weapon – being organized. Sounds simple right? Being organized means more than just having a well planned day and a neat office. It also means being organized in your plans, your thinking, and your focus.
I know countless brilliant women that have tons of potential, they’re making moves in life and have limitless goals for themselves. But they constantly say that they feel like they’re all over the place. This is where an organized way of life can help.
A few tips to better organization:
- eliminate clutter – if you haven’t used it in the last 6 months, toss it!
- make sure everything has a place and if it doesn’t create one
- create a zen space – it shouldn’t just be functional it should also be calm and inviting which helps with your ability to focus
- keep a calendar and write in everything – with all-things-digital becoming a daily mantra it’s easy to minimize the benefits of writing things done. From committing things to memory to being able to visually manage multiple upcoming engagements or projects at once, writing down your meetings, appointments, and responsibilities will not only help you manage your life better, but it will also help you achieve success
- keep paperwork organized and easy to find – for your business consider using cloud based platforms and software so that reports are right where you need them to be. Also, consider a more interactive and meaningful approach to keeping up with business data with interactive annual reports (over traditional printed or PDF copies)
be receptive to feedback
If you truly want to embark on a path to success, you’re going to want to let go of the notion that you’re always right. This starts with being open to feedback. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t want to become a punching bag for criticism or ill-intentions, but you do want to make sure that you’re making moves that will push you closer to your end goal.
This means listening to mentors/superiors/or industry leaders; taking advice from your spiritual leader; hearing what your customers have to say about your product or service; or making sure that you are clear on what your partner needs from you.
stay on top of trends
Everything around us is constantly changing at a rapid pace. Sometimes in ways that are difficult to keep up with. But no matter stage of life you’re in, staying on top of current trends can be just what it takes to find success.
- If you’re a mom, you’ll want to have a strong understanding of the technology that at your kids disposal.
- As an employee, it’s important that your skill set is competitive with others that are joining the workforce.
- As a woman in business, you’ll want to stay ahead of the competition. From being on top of matching customers to your marketing campaigns through market segmentation and software AI learning, to implementing the newest payment methods to increase convenience, you have to be in the ‘know’ of emerging trends.
let go of perfection
Life is not always easy. Our path is not always clear… and most of all none of it is perfect, nor was it meant to be. If you want to be successful you have to be more about getting things done, than obsessing over perfection.
Mistakes will happen. You’ll even miss the bar a time or two or ten… but if you’re giving it your all, you’ll find success. Give yourself permission to not stop, or lose momentum, when things don’t align perfectly. Accept that you can only control what you can control and the rest is out of your hands.
You can always go back and correct or improve, but slowing down or standing still is a direct path to failure everytime.